|Job Title:||Budget Analyst|
The RAND Corporation is a research organization that develops solutions to public policy challenges to help make communities throughout the world safer and more secure, healthier and more prosperous. RAND’s research and analysis address issues that impact people everywhere, including security, health, education, sustainability, growth, and development. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, RAND has close to 1,800 people from approximately 50 countries working in offices in North America, Europe, and Australia, with annual revenues of more than $308 million.
RAND is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and committed to the public interest. Our research is sponsored by government agencies, charitable trusts, and community nonprofits. In addition, we rely on philanthropic support to pursue visionary ideas; address critical problems that are under-researched; shape emerging policy debates; and devise innovative approaches for solving acute, complex, or provocative policy challenges. RAND values objectivity and integrity in both its research processes and internal interactions. We emphasize a collegial environment that respects the contributions and dignity of all staff.
The Survey Research Group (SRG) at RAND is seeking an experienced Budget Administrator to manage SRG’s budget and financial functions. The successful candidate will establish and maintain financial and operational systems to support proposals and projects, draft the annual operating budget, forecast project volume in future fiscal years and participate in setting the rates for the cost center. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Managing overhead expenditures and budgeting for cost center operating budget.
- Leading budget development, monitoring operating budget (e.g., tracking actual vs. budgeted expenditures), developing strategic plans for reducing operating costs and acting as an approver for overhead purchases and expense reimbursements.
- Acting as a cost center POC for accounting, payroll, timekeeping and finance staff for overhead budget queries.
- Maintaining systems for accurate project billing; e.g., project tracking keys, cost center reimbursement for direct project expenses, use of SRG credit card, etc.
- Monitoring and forecasting Cost Center financial performance and cost recovery, performing cost/schedule variance analysis and providing quarterly projections of cost center recovery and resulting recommendations.
- Maintaining systems for Project Proposals, preparing and/or verifying cost center Proposals, coordinating with Contracts for final submission and documenting proposal outcome.
- Assisting with the development of, or recommendations for, alternative accounting methods and procedures to track cost center recovery and validate reports generated by IS.
- Supervising and mentoring SRG budget specialist, assuring accuracy of work products.
-Extensive experience with Microsoft Office; advanced level spreadsheet/database skills. Advanced level user of excel or access.
- Prior work experience in 2 or more areas: cost estimation for policy or social science data collections, corporate bookkeeping or accounting, cost center transfer and accounting
-Strong communication skills required
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
-Demonstrated problem solving and organizational skills
Minimum of 6 years
Return to Open Positions